Saturday, April 21, 2012

Question 3

I liked the part about ethics of persuasive speaking. I think this was a very important part of our reading for this week. Unfortunately many people will just believe what they are told. This is becoming a huge issue with so called "news agencies" pumping people full of false or tainted information. A lot of people responsible for this lack any for of ethics or morality. It is very important for us as speakers or really just us a people to make sure we comment to acting ethically when we are tyring to inform or persuade people. Obviously you are trying to persuade someone so you are going to try to make your side seem better, but be sure to include all sides of the argument at hand. Not only that, but explain why that can be an option too. You will have a much stronger argument if the listener decides on their own rather than you coercing them into your beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. People will definitely believe what they are told. I have found that if someone says anything like the news or a talk show about their health, guarenteed that the next day will be someone asking me about it. The problem comes when the person now thinks that they are right instead of letting me educate them further on the subject. It's frustrating. I have a responsibility to them to tell them the truth, in person and in a persuasive speech. I also agree that you should always include all sides of the arguement. Both sides are important for consideration in any speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think ethics in persuasive speaking has been long gone, especially in media. I believe the media is the biggest culprit when it comes to the ethics of the news. It seems to me that the news networks are more interested on how the presentation of the story will generate the largest audience. Which is morally and ethically wrong. Furthermore, in today’s advertisements the issue of ethics and morality are tested. For example, you commonly see advertisements for products the guarantee amazing results. However, in a tiny print at the bottom it will say things like, “results may vary”, or other types of safeguarding verbiage they might use.

    ReplyDelete