Sunday, April 15, 2012
Question 3
I liked the impromptu section of chapter 12. I love on the spot speeches and talk. I really think that impromptu speeches shows how knowledgeable someone is if they can just give a spontaneous speech on a topic. A person can research something and memorize information, however if that person was forced to make an impromptu speech they wouldn't stand a chance compared to someone who knows and lives in the subject at hand. It also shows how well someone can talk on their feet a sort of BS test. To me it feels more natural, I get way to nervous if I plan a speech or try to memorize it. I prepare by studying and just getting a basic outline, but that is about it. I feel much more comfortable if I am just talking to the class verses giving them a speech. The hardest part is structure. It is very easy to go in circles or get lost in your on speech if you don't have some sort of basic outline or are very good at creating outlines on the spot. I really think other than that impromptu speeches are the best choice, well at least for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am glad that you covered this in your blog post, as it was something in the text that really made me think of all the conversations I have in day-to-day life. I know exactly what you mean when you mention preparation for a speech contributing to higher anxiety. Knowing what you are talking about really does make all of the difference too. If you were to ask me to do an impromptu speech on the Sacramento Kings, as my boss seems to do often, I would have a much more free-flowing and natural speech as opposed to a speech I spent hours preparing for.
ReplyDelete