Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Question 1
If I understand this correctly I will be using the Problem Solution Pattern method for my final speech. Monroe's approach seems fine, however I always tend to stray away from to persuasive. I do not want to tug at people emotions, I want them to make the decision for themselves. The Monroe approach seems like there is a lot flashing lights, and attention getter's, to get people on its side. The problem/solution organizational seems to be more my style. To present the problem and explain it in detail. To show the history of the problem I am discussing to give it context and a background. This way I can give a logical argument for or against a certain topic because I have explained it in detail. There is very little emotion or room for argument if there is only logic involved. This style I prefer because it feels natural to me. It is sort of like a game, if you eliminate any possible counter argument then only option is your side. This to me is the best form of persuasion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had the same problem, trying to figure out what organization pattern would work better for my speech. However, unlike you I'm all about emotions (and I know I should not be). To me there has to be an emotional attachment in order to engage the audience, especially if you want them to take action. I think people nowadays (not saying it's a bad thing) underestimate the power of emotions. I'm not saying I don't see the power of a logical argument, of course facts and stats make a great case but I think a mixture of both would work better in certain cases. I do agree that everyone has their own style and one must find what suits you
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say that you don't want to tug at people's emotions. I don't want to either. It seems dishonest. I too will be using the problem and solution organizational pattern. It seems very straightforward and to the point. I want to inform and maybe persuade the audience to think about what I have to say. I do not, however, want them to feel pressured to believe what I'm saying. I only want them to maybe have a fleeting thought or consideration about my speech. I also think that involving a problem and then giving a solution is a very normal way of thinking.
ReplyDelete