Friday, April 20, 2012
Question 2
Due to the lack or regulations we as a society have decided not to put in place we are faced with thousands of persuasive messages a day. When we walked out doors there are billboards, advertisements, and sign wavers. When we get in our car there are radio advertisements. When we go places like doctors, businesses, or schools there are advertisements all over from partnering businesses or from companies that sponsor those institutions. When we get back home our TVs and the Internet is filled to the brim of advertisements. It doesn't matter if your watching a show, a movie, playing a game, anything there are advertisements or at the very least persuasion to do certain things. To remain vigilant and not to become a sheeple, people must realize that they are being force fed fake information all the time. Always be informed and always read the fine print. Realize that just because something is seen everywhere it is not the best thing. The most important thing is to educate oneself. If you are always asking questions, you will never be taken advantage of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello,
ReplyDeleteSomething "clicked" when I read your post. Everyone is in the business of making money. It doesn't matter who it is. We are obviously ignoring so much more persuasive messages than we realize. My moto is "You do business with people you like." I happen to like shopping at Whole Foods. One advertiser I don't like so much is Bel Air because their ads don't match what's going on in the store. For example, their new produce commercials say how great the produce is at Bel Air. I think their produce stinks. Their customer service stinks. I tune their commericals out, and everytime I hear one on the radio I feel like calling head quarters and telling them to pull the ads because they are not what they advertise they are; therefore, they are not persuading me.
I agree with you when you say that we should be educated about things before we let advertisements get the better of us. I work in a medical office and even there, all day, our patients are shown what medication is better, newer and will give them the best results. We've also had a lot of issues with things like Dr. Phil and the like that mean well but are not well educated. They see one thing and run with it. It truly pays to be well informed. I also agree with Max's comment. Truth is always best. Don't advertise something if it isn't true. People will find out the hard way but then they will lose more business in the long run.
ReplyDelete