Saturday, April 14, 2012

Question 2

This was a pretty interesting conversation. I didn't really think much about the girl/women thing until this. I am a little bit torn, I would be a little insulted if I was referred to as a boy. On the other side I do not think anyone is trying to belittle women. I asked a few of my friends that our girls/women and they gave a pretty similar response. They thought of themselves as a girl not a woman. All of them were over 18 and below 30. I am not sure if this is because of societies views or what the cause is. The rest of the comments are pretty interesting too when it comes to different terms people use. Most of the people didn't seem to mind and felt that the lady was over reacting. I have still yet to really make up my mind because it seems that a women is someone who is older and ladies do not like to think of themselves that way, however I do not want to insult anyone who feels that girl is a belittling term.

2 comments:

  1. Your post is very interesting, too. After reading your post, I recalled that when I was a teen, if someone called me "lady," I was so happy. Yet if someone, now, call me "girl," I will be happier than ever. I think this is normal psychological reaction for most woman. When we were young, we like to be mature women. But when we are getting older, we tend to be most welcome to have someone calls us, "girl." Accordingly, I think this could explain why your female friends like the term of "girl," instead of "woman." In my case, just do not call me "senior," other pronouns will be ok. Therefore, I do not really think the term of "girl" or "woman" is really as sexist language. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, eye eye eye was a little over sensitive about use of the word girl. She probably has some deeper rooted issues. That being said, it brings up a valid point that some people do feel that way and may be sensitive to certain words, such as girl in this case. I agree with you that the term girl or woman is not sexist language under most circumstances. I could see how telling a guy to stop acting like a little girl or maybe saying they throw or catch like a girl could be offensive to some. On a man's side, you wouldn't want to be compared to a girl or thought of as feminine and on a woman's side it could be insulting to say girls are whiners or non-athletic or uncoordinated. The reality of it is there are gender differences and stereo types that go along with each.

    ReplyDelete