Friday, February 24, 2012

Question 1

In chapter 7 I think they did a good job telling us what the pros and cons are about each type of supporting material we can use. I liked all of them, but the narrative. I think that is a person bias though I am not a fan of trying to get someone attention of convince them of something by making them feel a certain way. I prefer facts and logic overwhelmingly. This can lead to issues though because if there are to many facts or statistics a lot of people will start to tune out and not pay any attention. Chapter 7 also tells us to make sure we choose wisely when it comes to information, which is great. Always fact check your facts, just because one place says something no matter how reputable it should be fact check a few times to get the whole story. Chapter 8 told us about patterns and transitions. I like some of the pattern ideas like cause-and-effect and problem solution. These fit more of my logical style of transmitting ideas. Transitions are always a little hard for me because in my mind I see the big picture and its all a single idea, however people that are listening tend to get confused because my transitions are not pronounced enough. The transitions given here will help me separate main points easier.

1 comment:

  1. I too have to work on transitions in my speech. I typically don't clearly shift from one main point to another. I like the idea of internal summaries because even though they are a little longer, it hits on the previously presented information so that the audience has a solid grasp of those ideas before moving onto the next main point (Coopman, 159). It's also a good idea to clearly state to the audience when you are moving from your last main point to your conclusion. It helps prepare the audience and requires little more than a few words or phrases (Coopman, 160).

    ReplyDelete