I don't fully understand the question so I will answer two different ways. Answer one is geared more to the speaker changing the information him/herself. Obviously this is unethical and should not be allowed. This is purely the speaker changing or creating information that is either very bias or flat out untrue. Answer two, which I think the question is more geared toward is that it is the speakers responsibility to produce accurate information. This means fact checking everything. So you have an image of a baby shooting someone to try to prove that guns are bad. Great, however you need to verify where you got this image from, check there qualifications, then check the source of the image and then check their qualifications. What most of us don't do is then try to find similar images or information about it as well. Try to disprove the image or information you have is one of the best ways to prove that it is a valid source of information and should be trusted.
I agree about the accurate information. I believe that it is the duty of everyone to make sure they have credible sources and photos for their presentational media. If I saw something on a power point that was just crazy, or if I didn't think it was true, I would want to speaker to clarify. They would need to say that the photo was altered. It actually angers me when people try to pass off stuff that they know is false as true. Just do the actual research instead. I just want to make sure that I have accurate information for my speech. I don't want anyone calling me on it!
ReplyDelete